Chemistry Student Internship in DNA-Encoded Library Synthesis (m/w/d)
Webseite F. Hoffmann-La Roche AG
Roche is an equal opportunity employer.
The Lead Discovery (LD) Department in Small Molecule Research is part of Therapeutic Modalities (TMo) within Roche Pharma Research and Early Development (pRED). We deliver leading edge science to drive the success of Roche’s early pipeline discovery research activities through a strong expertise in high throughput or focused screening platforms, DNA encoded library technology (DELT), protein science & enzymology/biophysics, cell-based assays and biostructure determination. We are accountable for the provision of high quality chemistry starting points for Small Molecule projects and generating molecular and mechanistic insights that are critical for the advancement of discovery projects.
We are offering an internship position with up to a 12 month duration. During the internship program the student (could also be a gap year before starting a PhD) will get the chance to gain valuable work experience in DELT chemistry and processes as well as the broader lead discovery and medicinal chemistry fields.
During the internship, you will:
- Actively contribute to the discovery and development of novel DNA compatible chemistry for the use in DNA-encoded library synthesis
- Purify and characterize DNA small molecule conjugates using techniques such as mass spectrometry and HPLC
- Optimize novel and current reaction protocols for application in DELT
- Get hands-on experience on laboratory automation and robotics
- Plan experiments and present your findings to larger audiences
- Learn about the function of a research department in the pharmaceutical industry
- Use electronic laboratory notebooks to accurately document your research results
- Receive complimentary education with a tuition program through which you will deepen your understanding in organic and medicinal chemistry and improve your presentation skills
You are someone that is passionate about learning, discovering and taking on new challenges. At the Roche Headquarter site in Basel we offer you a multicultural and dynamic workplace in a modern environment, which at the same time requires a flexible mindset. You will be a member of our Interns Network that offers you chances to connect, have fun and get to know Basel, in the heart of Europe. We are looking for a highly motivated student with a strong enthusiasm for Organic and Medicinal Chemistry, who is interested in performing state of the art research in the pharmaceutical industry.
- Currently enrolled as a chemistry master student who in the 2022-2023 academic year will be in the penultimate or last year of study at the “Year in Industry” junction of the studies
Or a chemistry master student who has graduated in 2022 and are looking for a 12 placement opportunity
- Broad knowledge with technical and practical experience in organic chemistry
- Ambitious team-worker and relish working in a dynamic multi-disciplinary environment
- Passionate and dedicated about your further education in the area of organic/medicinal chemistry
- Excellent organizational skills, a proactive attitude and fluent in English
- Motivated and focused, able to multitask, and meets timelines efficiently and productively
The Internship will start in October 2022 – please clearly indicate your preferred starting date in your motivation letter. Applications must include a CV and motivation letter in one merged PDF document.
Please note that NON-EU/EFTA nationals have to be constantly enrolled at university during the internship and need to upload with their application a confirmation letter from their university stating that the internship is mandatory for their studies.
Should you have any questions, please check our FAQs and videos at careers.roche.ch/faq
Who we are
At Roche, more than 100,000 people across 100 countries are pushing back the frontiers of healthcare. Working together, we’ve become one of the world’s leading research-focused healthcare groups. Our success is built on innovation, curiosity and diversity.
Basel is the headquarters of the Roche Group and one of its most important centres of pharmaceutical research. Over 10,700 employees from over 100 countries come together at our Basel/Kaiseraugst site, which is one of Roche`s largest sites. Read more.
Besides extensive development and training opportunities, we offer flexible working options, 18 weeks of maternity leave and 10 weeks of gender independent partnership leave. Our employees also benefit from multiple services on site such as child-care facilities, medical services, restaurants and cafeterias, as well as various employee events.
We believe in the power of diversity and inclusion, and strive to identify and create opportunities that enable all people to bring their unique selves to Roche.
Roche ist ein Arbeitgeber, der die Chancengleichheit fördert.
Um dich für diesen Job zu bewerben, besuche bitte roche.wd3.myworkdayjobs.com.